Newton Lodge 216

Login

History

BELOW IS A LITTLE BIT OF INFORMATION OF THE HISTORY OF FREEMASONRY FROM NEWTON LODGE 216 OF NEWTON, ILLINOIS

Newton Masonic Lodge No 216 - 150 Years of History 
Written October 31, 2006 by Brad Koehler, WM
Edited and Amended by Ed Martin 2019

To celebrate the Lodge's 150th Anniversary, on Friday October 20th we held a Past Master & 50 Year Members Dinner at 6:30 pm featuring guest speaker Brother J. Garrie Burr, Most Worshipful Past Grand Master of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of the State of Illinois and Honorary Member of Newton Lodge No 216, you did not have to be a Past Master or 50 Year Member to attend, all Master Masons, Fellowcrafts, Entered Apprentices, Candidates, and guests thereof and their spouses were encouraged to attend, a special award was presented to Past Master Dale Woodrow Boxley for his 45 years of continuous and dedicated service to the Lodge and Craft; on Saturday October 21st we held a Blue Lightning at 9:00 am that was open to all Master Masons to come and watch or participate in a Second & Third Degree; and on Sunday October 22nd we held an Open House for the public to attend from Noon - 5:00 pm. Commemorative coins have been struck to celebrate Newton Lodge's 150th Anniversary and one was presented to every Master Mason that attended any one of those three events during that very special weekend celebration.

The Newton Masonic Lodge No 216 has been a part of Newton and Jasper County continuously for 150 years. On October 7, 1856 the Newton Lodge received its Charter from the Grand Lodge of the State of Illinois and became the 216th Lodge in Illinois to receive a Charter since 1840. The Newton Lodge was formed by area Master Masons, prior to receiving it's Charter they were operating under a Dispensation from the Grand Master until the Annual Meeting of the Grand Lodge on October 7, 1856 at which time the Charter was issued to Brother Drury B. Brown, the first Worshipful Master of Newton Lodge No 216. Other original officers were E.J. Tichenor, Senior Warden; Abner M. Peterson, Junior Warden; John Jackson, Treasurer; A.C. Burford, Secretary; Johnson Colwell, Senior Deacon; and James G. Whitney, Junior Deacon.

The first place the Lodge met was in 1856 in a building they rented from Brother Adison S. Harris, a member of the Lodge. This first Lodge location was on the second floor of a building on the north side of the square on the corner of the east end of the block where the BP Gas Station is located today. The Lodge rented this location almost 20 years until the fall of 1875.

The second location of the Lodge was a Hall that we rented from the fall of 1875 from Brother Fuller Nigh, a member of the Lodge. This Hall was located on the eastside of the square on the corner of the north end of the block where the Library is located today. At some point in 1883 the ownership of the building changed hands and in January 1884 we paid our annual rent to David Lytle & Company. The Lodge rented this location for 11½ years until February 1886. The original building is no longer there.
The third location of the Lodge was on the second story of the S.C. Andrews building that was rented from February 1886 from Brother St. Claire Andrews, a member of the Lodge, and the Lodge continued renting from his widow Ida Andrews. The S.C. Andrews building is located on the eastside of the square on the corner of the south end of the block also known as the old Worcester Hardware Store. The Lodge rented this location for 33½ years until September 1919. You can still see the layout of the lodge room, ante room, and prep room upstairs in this building over 110 years later.
The fourth location of the Lodge was on the second story of the Garnier building that was rented from September 1919 from Mr. J.A. Garnier, and continued renting from his widow. The Garnier building is located in the middle of the South side of the square where Edward Jones is today (the old Franke Hardware store). Beginning in January 1925 the Lodge started paying a fee of $1.00 per month for the use of the toilet to Frank Shup, owner of the Shup Building that is adjacent to the west of the Garnier Building with an adjoining door upstairs. The Lodge Hall was located in the rear two thirds of the building and in March 1925 we rented the entire second floor turning the front rooms into a clubroom and purchased a pool table. The old Lodge room is still there and the Masonic and Eastern Star symbols are still all around the walls near the ceiling. Seeing these things in a building that hasn't been used as a Lodge for over 68 years is very exciting to a Master Mason, and standing in that old Lodge room you can't help but to imagine all the Lodge business that took place there between World War I and World War II. The Lodge rented this location for almost 19 years until July 1938.
The fifth location of the Lodge was on the second story of Albright's Clothing Store that was rented from July 1938 from Mrs. Fannie Albright. The Albright's Clothing Store was located on the East side of the square where Jasper Clothiers is today. This was merely a transition move for a temporary period while planning to find a permanent home for the Lodge. The Lodge rented this location for 2½ years until December 1940. Nothing is remaining upstairs in this building today that indicates a lodge was there.
The sixth and final location of the Lodge is it's current building, having previously acquiring the property known as Lots 7 and 8 of Block 7 in the City of Newton on Van Buren Street. On June 17, 1940 the officers of the Lodge authorized construction of the new Masonic Temple to begin with Brother Orbin Swisher as the contractor.
On December 2, 1940, Newton Lodge No 216 held its first meeting in the new Masonic Temple and has continuously for the past 66 years.
The Newton Lodge, beginning in 1856 and during the first ten years held its regular meetings on Saturday evenings in no particular pattern. In October 1866 the Lodge began meeting on the 1st & 3rd Saturdays. In November 1870 the Lodge began meeting only once per month on the Saturday evening which fell on or before the full moon, this was fairly common among Lodges in this era because after the meeting was over the moon was bright and members could see their way home easier. In March of 1875 the Lodge continued meeting as such but also on the second Saturday thereafter from October through May. Then in June 1878 the Lodge started to continue the second meeting all year round, but beginning at 6:30 pm during October thru March and 7:30 pm April thru September. This was the first mention in the Lodge minutes of the time that the meetings began. In September 1904 everything stayed the same with one exception; the meeting day was changed from Saturday to Monday. In January 1911 the Lodge started meeting on the 1st & 3rd Mondays of each month and continue to do so now. There was however some time changes since 1911, beginning in January 1913 the Lodge met at 7:00 pm during October thru March and at 7:30 pm April thru September. Then in April 1957 the time changed to 7:30 pm all the time, until June 1961 when they changed it to 8:30 pm. In January 1962 the Lodge opted to meet at 7:00 pm for the next three months, and then in April 1962 the Lodge decided to meet at 8:30 pm during "Fast Time" (Daylight Savings Time). In May 1964 it was changed to 8:00 pm during DST and this was the last mention of meeting times in the records to date. Daylight savings time, under the Uniform Time Act, became effective in 1967 and at some point the Newton Lodge started meeting regularly at 7:30 pm year round.

It wasn't cheap to become a Mason in 1856. There was a $7.00 fee to petition to join the Lodge; today it costs $25.00. There was a $7.00 fee to receive the Entered Apprentice Degree (1st Degree); today it costs $25.00. There was a $6.00 fee to receive the Fellowcraft Degree (2nd Degree); today it costs $25.00. There was a $7.00 fee to receive the Master Mason Degree (3rd Degree); today it costs $25.00. So, the total cost to become a Master Mason in 1856 was $27.00 verses $100.00 today. Now, at $10.00 an hour, after taxes, a man would have to work two days to become a Master Mason, but in 1856, with a six day work week, he would have to work about 9 weeks to have enough money to become a Master Mason, between 2 to 3 months earnings. The annual dues in 1856 was $1.00 due quarterly at 25¢ and we often see in the minutes where members would pay a nickel, dime or fifteen cents at a time. Today the annual dues are $40.00, about the cost to take your wife to dinner and a movie, or less than a tank of gasoline.

There are and have been many Lodges within a 25 mile radius of Newton, some are still going strong while others have went by the wayside as time has changed our small communities by their declining population. On August 16, 1884 a petition to form a new Lodge at Rose Hill was granted by the Newton Lodge and again on April 7, 1896 another petition for the same was granted, but no Lodge was ever formed at Rose Hill.

The Lodges in our area that are still going strong are as follows. Greenup Lodge #125 chartered October 3, 1853. Olney Lodge #140, chartered October 2, 1854, invited the Newton Lodge to assist in laying the cornerstone of the Baptist Church in Olney on May 18, 1895. Effingham Lodge #149, chartered October 2, 1854, invited the members of Newton Lodge to attend the Masonic Ceremony of the laying of the cornerstone of the new Courthouse in Effingham on July 15, 1870, which our members attended. Louisville Lodge #196 chartered October 6, 1856. Robinson Lodge #250, chartered October 7, 1857 requested the Newton Lodge to the laying of the cornerstone of the Crawford County Courthouse in Robinson on Thursday October 24, 1895. Sumner Lodge #334 chartered October 3, 1860. Casey Lodge #402 chartered October 4, 1865. Watson Lodge #602 chartered October 6, 1868. Oblong City Lodge #644 chartered October 4, 1870. On September 22, 1866, the Newton Lodge granted a petition for a new Lodge to be formed at Winterrowd and Mayo Lodge #664 at Winterrowd was chartered on October 3, 1871, now known as Winterrowd Lodge #664 and later moved to Dieterich. Toledo Lodge #834 chartered October 3, 1894.

The Lodges in our area that have gone defunct are as follows. Mason Lodge #217, chartered October 7, 1856, operated for over 127 years and on April 5, 1984 closed its doors and consolidated with Edgewood Lodge #484. Noble Lodge #362, chartered October 1, 1861, operated for over 127 years and on April 13, 1989 closed its doors and consolidated with Olney Lodge #140. Clay City Lodge #488, chartered October 3, 1866, operated for 135 years and on April 4, 2002 closed its doors and consolidated with Flora Lodge #204. Cooper Lodge #489, chartered October 3, 1866, operated for over 127 years and on December 2, 1993 closed its doors and consolidated with Newton Lodge #216. Delia Lodge #525 at Elliottstown, chartered October 1, 1867, operated for over 43 years and on January 12, 1911 closed its doors and consolidated with Mayo Lodge #664. Prairie City Lodge #578 at Montrose, chartered October 6, 1868, operated for over 112 years and on January 13, 1981 closed its doors and consolidated with Toledo Lodge #834. Hazel Dell Lodge #580, chartered October 1, 1868, was originally located at Hazel Dell and on November 7, 1945 requested permission from Newton Lodge to move their Lodge to Yale and it was granted, Hazel Dell Lodge #580 operated for over 127 years and on February 6, 1996 closed its doors and consolidated with Newton Lodge #216. Crawford Lodge #666 at Eaton, chartered October 3, 1871, operated for over 122 years and on December 7, 1993 closed its doors and consolidated with Robinson Lodge #250. Hardinville Lodge #756, chartered October 3, 1878, operated for over 114 years and on March 17, 1993 closed its doors and consolidated with Robinson Lodge #250. On January 10, 1885 the Newton Lodge granted a petition to form a new Lodge at Wheeler, but no Lodge was formed at that time. Then on August 5, 1893, the Newton Lodge again granted a petition for a new Lodge to be formed at Wheeler and again no Lodge was formed. On April 23, 1904, the Newton Lodge once again granted a petition for a new Lodge to be formed at Wheeler and Wheeler Lodge #883 was chartered on October 3, 1906, it operated for over 66 years and on April 17, 1973 closed its doors and consolidated with Mayo Lodge #664.

About 1,200 Master Masons have been members of the Newton Lodge since its beginning and 95 have served as Worshipful Master of the Lodge. Typically, men who become Master Masons continue their membership and commitment for the rest of their life. We therefore find that of our current 217 members we have 28 who have been members for over fifty years and of them, nine that have been members for over sixty years. Our Lodge still has the ledgers from 1856 and all of the Secretary's minutes of the Lodge's Regular and Special Meetings from 1860 to the present day. The pages are filled with script written with quill and ink, and many letters and newspaper articles still placed between the pages in every book. We find many surnames reoccurring that are common to the Jasper County area such as Brooks, Brown, Clark, Cummins, Eaton, Girhard, Harris, Jones, King, Martin, Mitchell, Urfer, Utley, Ward, Wilson, and Woods to name a few throughout the 150 years of records. Many generations of Jasper County natives have followed in the footsteps of their forefathers making it a family tradition to become a Master Mason and a member of Newton Lodge #216.

We found that over the past 150 years that the Newton Masonic Lodge allowed many other various groups to use our Lodge as a meeting place, such as the International Order of Odd Fellows beginning in April 1866, the Royal Arch Masons Chapter #109 beginning in January 1867, the Order of Good Templars beginning in January 1870, the Ancient Order of United Workmen beginning in August 1878, the Knights of Honor beginning in April 1878, the Lodge of Royal Templars of Temperance April 1881, the Modern Woodmen beginning in December 1887, the Knights of Pythias beginning in July 1890, the Ben Hur "Court of Honor" Lodge No 279 beginning in April 1900, and the Order of Eastern Star Chapter #497 beginning in October 1902 which continues to this day, the "Swords of Bunker Hill" Ambraw Order #86 beginning in 1949. Three different Girl Scout Troops currently meet at our Lodge and one group of Cub Scouts. The Newton Lodge has always been a charitable organization to the youth groups in the area, a tradition that we have expanded on and continue to this day.

Many things we take for granted today, like the Lodge getting electricity in 1904 and the electric bill for the entire year was $12.00, and in July 1909 having a telephone installed in the Lodge at a cost of $1.25 per month. We don't have a telephone at the Lodge anymore, but then over half of the members have one with them when they come to Lodge. On July 6, 1910 three light bulbs were purchased for the Lodge for $3.10, its hard to imagine how expensive those were at that time. On August 2, 1911 the Newton Lodge paid $25.00 for a Masonic window for the Presbyterian Church in Newton that was under construction then. On February 18, 1916 the Lodge held a banquet at 6:00 pm at the New American Hotel owned by Joseph Litzelman, 58 members were in attendance and the banquet cost $30.00. This old hotel building still stands on the north side of the square and today is known as "The Pub" owned by Bro Dale Mahaney.

On June 21, 1877, the cornerstone for the Jasper County Courthouse was laid, the Newton Lodge purchased the stone and hired Brother James Nible from Olney to engrave on it the following inscription "Laid by the Masonic Fraternity June 21st AD 1877 AL 5877 MW Joseph Robbins G.M.", the MW stands for Most Worshipful and the G.M. stands for Grand Master, he was the Grand Master of Ancient Free & Accepted Masons of the State of Illinois. A procession for this laying of the cornerstone was formed in front of the Newton Lodge headed by the Grand Master, his Grand Lodge Officers, Officers and members of the Newton Lodge, the Knight Templars from Gorin Commandery #14 of Olney, the Knights of Pythias and the Odd Fellows. The procession marched from the Lodge proceeding west on Jourdan Street, then south on Lafayette Street, then east on Washington Street and north on Van Buren Street to the Northeast corner of the Courthouse where the cornerstone was laid with the usual Masonic Ceremonies, and the Olney Brass Band was hired to play.

On October 27, 1956 a Centennial Celebration was held at the Newton Lodge with many Masonic Dignitaries on hand for the festivities. On February 21, 1966 a new plaque was placed on the Northeast corner of the Jasper County Courthouse because the original engraved cornerstone that was placed on June 21, 1877 by the Newton Lodge was covered up during the construction of the new additions to the four corners of the Jasper County Courthouse.

The Newton Lodge has always been charitable towards worthy causes, which we find scattered throughout the record books. In 1995 the Lodge held it's first annual Biscuit & Gravy Breakfast in conjunction with Newton "Strawberry Fest", the purpose of this fundraiser was not to make money for our Lodge, but to establish a charitable fund that we could donate money back into the community where needed with the children and young adults in mind. All the proceeds from this breakfast fundraiser plus additional money from our own treasury goes into the charity fund and since 1995 we have donated money from this fund to Jasper County Girls & Boys Park, Jasper County Optional Education, Jasper Forum, Jasper County "CHILD", Jasper County "Kids Fair", Jasper County "Shop with a Cop", Jasper County DARE, Jasper County Extension (4H), NCHS Choral Department, Toys for Tots, Newton Public Library, NCHS S.A.D.D. Chapter, Civic Center Building Fund, Oblong Children's Home, Jasper Chamber of Commerce, Sunrise Youth Center, Peterson Park Playground, Jasper Operation Home Front, NCHS Academic Foundation, and the Grove Parent Teacher Organization to name a few. Other charities we have donated to, but not using money from the breakfast fundraiser are the Shriners Crippled Children Hospital, Masonic Academic Bowl, Masonic Substance Abuse Program, the Illinois Masonic Home at Sullivan, the Scottish Rite Learning Center for children with Dyslexia located at Danville, Illinois Rainbow Girls, Illinois DeMolay for boys, the Masonic Children Home at Murphysboro, the Masonic Homes Endowment Fund, and the Masonic Services Association's Disaster Relief Fund for "Katrina" victims to name a few.
Since 1995, the Newton Masonic Lodge has donated almost $15,000 to charitable causes, this is something that we are very proud of and will continue to do for the next 150 years, and beyond.

In the year 2000, under the direction of Brother Gary Woods, Worshipful Master from 2000-2003, the Lodge undertook a large-scale construction and remodeling project. We doubled the size of our building by adding on a dining room and kitchen facility that any restaurant would envy, totally remodeling the Lodge room, and turning the old dining room that was in the basement of the Lodge into a recreation room complete with a mini kitchen, restroom, a large conference table and game tables consisting of pool, snooker, ping pong, air hockey and foosball. The entire Lodge building, main floor and basement, is now handicapped accessible too. This project was completed in the summer of 2005 with about 99% of the work performed by our membership.

On July 16, 2005, Brother David W. Miller, the Most Worshipful Grand Master of Ancient Free & Accepted Masons of the State of Illinois and his Grand Lodge Officers came to Newton and performed an Official Masonic Rededication Ceremony of Newton Lodge #216.

On April 21, 2006, an Awards Banquet was held at the Newton Lodge and as part of our yearlong 150th Anniversary celebration the Lodge recognized two distinguished Brothers. The first was Brother Ralph Quentin Holsapple who has been a Master Mason and member of Newton Lodge since May 7, 1964 and served a Worshipful Master in 1969 and 1983. Brother Holsapple was recognized and presented a plaque for his dedicated service to Newton Lodge by serving as an officer of the Lodge for 39 years. The second was Brother Merl Quincy Vanderhoof who has been a Master Mason and member of Newton Lodge since July 23, 1945 and served as Worshipful Master in 1975. Brother Vanderhoof was recognized and presented a plaque in Honor of the Vanderhoof family for serving in the office as Tyler. The office of Tyler (guard) has the responsibility to see that the Lodge is secure and that only worthy brethren pass through the door into the Lodge Room for Regular and Special Meetings, the Tyler guards the door with a sword in his hand. Of the past 150 years, members of the Vanderhoof family have served as Tyler for 46 years, a time honored tradition to be proud of and recognized for. Brother Nathaniel Vanderhoof served as Tyler for 7 years from 1877, 1878 and 1890 thru 1894. Brother Charles Austin Vanderhoof served as Tyler for 5 years from 1914 thru 1918. Brother John Quincy Vanderhoof served as Tyler for 26 years from 1935 thru 1946, and 1950 thru 1963. Brother Merl Quincy Vanderhoof has served as Tyler for 8 years from 1999 thru 2006.

It has been very interesting to peruse through the records of Newton Lodge, reading the minutes of all Lodge business and the names of all those who have petitioned for membership in the past 150 years. Men from every walk of life, there have been Doctors, Lawyers, Politicians, Farmers, Railroad workers, Businessmen, Pharmacists, Craftsmen, Bankers, Clergymen, Policemen, Landlords, Teamsters, Traveling Salesmen, Labors, Students, a Congressman and many veterans. There were various forms of calligraphy, some absolutely beautiful and others almost impossible to read. Some Lodge Secretaries kept very detailed minutes while others only recorded the bare minimum of the proceedings and of those we wish they were more detailed because now we desire more information as we delve into our history. Newton and Jasper County is rich with its own history, and then you weave it together with American and world history. I thought often as I read page by page of the ongoing history that was happening at the very moment those records were being penned, the Civil War, Spanish American War, WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam Wars, the assassination of President's Abraham Lincoln, James A. Garfield, William McKinley and John F. Kennedy, the Stock Market crash and the Great Depression. Still placed between the pages of one book is a letter from the Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge of Illinois dated May 1, 1872, explaining to the Lodge why they haven't received their copy of the Grand Lodge proceedings from October 6 & 7, 1871, because the Grand Master had taken the written proceedings home with him to the city of Chicago, and they were destroy when his home burnt during the Great Chicago Fire on October 8, 1871. Another letter from the Grand Master dated April 23, 1889, urging all Lodges to have some sort of celebration to commemorate the centennial anniversary of Brother George Washington's Inauguration as the first President of the United States. Fragments of information like this are found throughout and it shows us how everything is interwoven into the big picture of history that encompasses each and every one of us in every small community across this nation.
Freemasonry not only has a rich history in Jasper County, but a deep-rooted history in this country long before we became the great nation that we are. Many great men have been Master Masons, patriots such as Benjamin Franklin, Paul Revere, John Hancock, Alexander Hamilton, John Marshall, and John Paul Jones. Thirteen signers of the U.S. Constitution and fourteen U.S. Presidents, George Washington, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, James A. Garfield, William McKinley, Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Warren G. Harding, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, and Gerald R. Ford. American frontiersmen like Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, Sam Houston, Christopher "Kit" Carson, William "Buffalo Bill" Cody, and Lewis and Clark. Great military leaders such as Thirty-three Generals in the Continental Army that served under General George Washington, that he hand picked because they were Masons and he knew he could trust them, other Generals like Blackjack Pershing, Douglas MacArthur, Omar Bradley, and George Marshall. Astronauts John Glenn, Gordon Cooper, Virgil "Gus" Grissom, Wally Schirra, and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin. Aviators Charles Lindbergh, Eddie Rickenbacker, and Jimmy Doolittle. During the Civil War, there were many instances where Masonic Brethren on both sides would come together at the end of a days battle and hold Masonic Funeral Rites for their departed Brethren, then they would return to their respective sides for the next days battle. During the height of WWII, President Truman made a special appearance in the newsreels being shown in movie theaters all over America. He said, in part, "At this very moment, in foxholes and on shipboard, beneath the sea and in the air, countless hands are being clasped in fraternal recognition of each other in the darkness as well as in the daylight. And countless fathers, bravely wishing God-speed to their departing sons, are saying 'Boy, when your hour of darkness and loneliness comes, find a Freemason, and tell him you are the son of a Freemason, and you'll find a friend.' "

Two hundred twenty-four of the men who have been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor were Freemasons. Yes, patriotism is synonymous with Freemasonry, and both have very deep roots in this Country and the roots run deep locally as well right here in Jasper County.

The living Past Masters of Newton Lodge #216 are as follows: John William Augustus, 1985 & 1992; Dale Woodrow Boxley, 1967, 1972, 1978 & 1979; Edison Burl Clark, 1982; Joseph Leon Crain, 1986; Keith Allen Fear, 1976; Otis Lavonne Finn, 1998 & 1999; Leon Delvin Granby, 1964, 1970 & 1991; James Leroy Griffy, 1959; James Warren Harvey, 1966; Ralph Quentin Holsapple, 1969 & 1983; John Bradley Koehler, 2006; Galen Kent Mendenhall, 1995; Ralph Don Portlock, 1990 & 1994; Duane Milton Sims, 1954; Neil Weber Strole, 1981; Michael Leo Thomas, 1996, 1997 & 2004; Jerry Joe Thompson, 1973; Kieth Eugene Trimble, 1988 & 1993; William Frank Turner, 1957; Merl Quincy Vanderhoof, 1975; Bernard Keith Welling, 2005; Gary Keith Woods, 2000, 2001, 2002 & 2003; Rex Lane Woods, 1989.

Since the writing of this History of Newton Lodge #216 in October of 2006,
we have lost the following Past Masters:
John William Augustus, Edison Burl Clark, Joseph Leon Crain, Leon Delvin Granby, James Leroy Griffy, Ralph Quentin Holsapple, John Bradley Koehler, Duane Milton Sims, Neil Weber Strole, Jerry Joe Thompson, William Frank Turner, Dale Woodrow Boxley and Merl Quincy Vanderhoof.***
To these men, and to all our Brothers who have went to be with the Grand Architect of the Universe, we  reverently say....
They Stood as Just and Upright Men. 
Rest in Peace my Brothers.

Ed Martin....edited July 17th 2019

The Newton Lodge continues the strong tradition of Freemasonry that was established in our community 150 years ago and as in the past we are always looking for good men to join the Fraternity and carry on this deeply rooted history of charitable, moral, patriotic and spiritual enlightenment of mankind. If any man the age of 18 or older is interested in learning more about Freemasonry and why America's founding fathers based so much of our freedoms and rights on the teachings of Freemasonry, just contact us at the Newton Lodge.
There is an old Masonic saying, "Freemasonry makes good men better."
Are you a good man looking to better yourself?